Cupcake Monday!

The weekend was one of those rare weekends were we didn’t have much planned, with the Hubby and his dragon boat racing all over the country and Ellissa’s busy social life I rarely get a weekend free.  This weekend wasn’t totally free but I managed to get a whole Sunday free with the help of others Mum’s.  I spent the day doing the ironing (because I’m still a Mum and if I don’t do it, it won’t get done), baking, catching up on TV (America’s Next Top Model, Go Cory) & the F1 (which was quite sad) and going to the gym.  All in all a nice weekend!

I wouldn’t say my cakes are anything special but I’m often asked to bake cakes for special occasions etc so I thought I would share my basic recipe with you all.  I baked 12 chocolate and 12 vanilla and of course I tasted one of each ;)  Here is my recipe!

Cupcakes

What you need:
125g Stork Butter
125g Caster Sugar
2 Medium Eggs
125g Self-rising Flour
1teaspoon of Vanilla Extract with seeds
2 tablespoon of Milk

1. First and foremost pre heat the over to180
2. I start by mixing the butter and sugar together until its light and fluffy (4-5mins).
3. Then I add the eggs mixing for a minute of two.
4. Sift the flour in to the bowl and slowing mix with a spoon to combine the ingredients  
5. Once the mixture is combined add the vanilla and milk, mix for a minute but don’t over mix the batter.  I don’t know the scientific reason for this but if I over mix the batter I find that the cakes are dense.
6. Spoon the mixture in to the cake tins ¾ ways full and put in the oven for 15 minutes.

(To make chocolate cupcakes just reduce the flour to 100g and add 25g of cocoa)

Vanilla Butter Cream

I use the Hummingbird recipe (you can get the app as well as the cookbook) and everyone seems to love it so here goes,

What you need:
250 g icing sugar, sifted
80 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
25 ml whole milk
A couple of drops of vanilla extract

1. Beat the icing sugar and butter together on a medium speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed.
2. Combine the milk and vanilla extract and then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. 
3. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.


The longer the frosting is beaten, the fluffier and lighter it becomes. Then I bag it up as put it in the fridge for 20 mins to make the frosting easy to apply 

No comments:

Post a Comment